About Tranquileyes Starter Kit
VIDEO (see product images): Skip to 0:50 for just Tranquileyes
- Provides maximal moisture retention and dry eye protection
- Deep cushion seal
- Removable moisture pads
- Comfortable, fully adjustable fabric strap
International customers: We cannot ship this product to Canada, Europe, and certain other countries. Please click here for details.
- Included: Goggle, fitted with cushions and moisture pads; spare set of foam; mesh wash bag for cleaning
- Returnable (used or unused). See policy details
Before you buy
This type of product is often a trial & error process. We do our best to make the return process convenient. But we also suggest that you consider buying two or more at once and sending back what doesn't work out, or at least reaching out for advice first.
Description (by Rebecca)
NOTE: All of my discussion about Tranquileyes on this page is directed specifically at overnight dry eye protection. For information about Tranquileyes as a warm moist compress using Thermoeyes heat inserts, please see Tranquileyes Advanced.
Tranquileyes is the original Eye Eco product for night dry eye protection and warm compresses, launched more than 10 years ago now. It was revolutionary at that time - up till then, the only thing doctors ever seemed to recommend for overnight dry eye protection was more, and more, and more ointment. Or taping the eyelids shut if it got really bad.
Fast forward a decade... Eye Eco have continued innovating new products for night dry eye protection and have made huge strides towards addressing a wider range of fitting requirements and niche user needs. Tranquileyes meanwhile remains a very important tool for night protection for people with severe symptoms, particularly aqueous deficient dry eye types such as auto-immune conditions (e.g. Sjogrens, RA). It is not suitable for everyone, however, even if they have severe symptoms.
Tranquileyes offers a unique combination of advantages:
- Deep foam seal: Viscoelastic ("memory") foam conforms perfectly to the contours of the face.
- Removable moisture pad: Pads made of the same foam are removed, wetted and replaced in the goggle to add maximal moisture to last through the night.
- Potential for light pressure on the lids: For users whose lids do not fully close (a common problem called nocturnal lagophthalmos - not always a problem on its own, but can be serious in conjunction with dry eye), the pads may be helpful in holding the lids closed, depending on fit. Fit can also be customized by trimming the pads or adding extra thin pads if the eyes are deep set.
How do you decide which night product to try first - how do you determine whether Tranquileyes is really the best one to start with? Well, honestly, at the end of the day it will be all about trial and error - most people don't know until they try something what their tolerance will be or whether a product will be compatible with their sleep style.
The answers are not always intuitive - for example, I speak frequently with people who have poor eyelid closure at night (Bell's palsy, complications from blepharoplasty and a variety of other situations). Often they are convinced they need something that will hold their lids down, but in practice they often find that they cannot sleep, or that whatever holds their lids down might slip and give them a nasty abrasion. So the answer may actually be a vaulting type of shield that maximizes moisture to prevent damage from exposure but without anything coming near the eyes themselves.
Please see our Product Guide: Night Dry Eye Protection Devices for suggested guidelines on product choices.
In my opinion, patients most likely to be successful with Tranquileyes for overnight use are:
- Severe dry eye patients intent on maximizing moisture retention overnight, AND
- Small to medium sizing, AND
- Are used to wearing a blackout sleep mask at night or are confident they can tolerate some extra bulk over their eye area overnight, AND
- Do not have any extreme material or chemical sensitivities
- Foam: Occasionally people have skin reactions to the foam. It's a lovely high quality foam, and this does not happen often, but enough to be aware that it's a possibility.
- Sizing: People with larger orbits may find the cushions rest too close to their eyes; people with eyes set unusually close together or far apart may find the nose bridge does not work for them.
- Pressure on eyes: The moisture pads can press down uncomfortably. This may be easily remedied by customizing the foam fit, but for some users any contact with the lids will be undesirable.
Description (from the manufacturer's literature)
about the product:
The patented tranquileyes® travel and sleep kit is designed to promote a relaxing, restful sleep, making it perfect for long flights, power naps, and your regular sleep patterns.
Padded with comfortable memory foam, they naturally shelter your eyes from drafts, dust, and low humidity environments, all contributors to dry eye and related conditions.
The goggle includes a set of removable moisture pads which can be soaked in hot water prior to sleep. This aids in the creation of moist-heat, key to soothing tired, irritated eyes. For migraines or puffiness, the pads can be frozen to create effective cold therapies, anytime you need them.
The goggle also creates total darkness, stimulating the pineal gland to release melatonin, a key promoter of deep sleep and relaxation. Whatever your dry eye problems, our travel and sleep kit can help, whether you're at home or on the road.
included in the kit:
- One foam padded Tranquileyes goggle
- One spare set of foam
- One mesh wash bag for cleaning
Usage and Care
What is Tranquileyes used for?
In this context, Tranquileyes is used for overnight dry eye protection.
Tranquileyes can also be used for moist heat therapy along with Thermoeyes heat inserts (purchased separately or in a moist heat therapy kit such as Tranquileyes Advanced).
Instructions for use
Simply moisten the pads, place inside the goggle, and place over the eyes, adjusting the strap until comfortable. For cold therapies, freeze the moisture pads, then wear as normal.
Cleaning and care
Hand wash moisture pads (grey inserts) and/or thermopads (thin white foam inserts) with mild antibacterial soap and rinse thoroughly with hot water (shower temperature) before or after each use. Wash plastic eye covers and outer foam eye cushion as needed.
After rinsing, gently squeeze excess moisture out of pads and foam. Pat any excess moisture out of eye covers with a towel and hang to dry. All kits except the 'Mini' come with a net dry bag that you can use to hang your tranquileyes dry and keep clean.
Replacing Foam and Moisture Pads
Foam eye cushions should be replaced as needed, typically every two months if using daily. To replace, peel the old cushion away from the eyecup, one at a time. Peel liner off replacement foam, align each replacement cushion with the appropriate eyecup and press foam to eyecup. Dispose of all old foam (outer ring and inner moisture pads). Replacement foam may be purchased here.
Eye Eco products are covered under a one-year manufacturer warranty. Refer to eyeeco.com or contact us.
Eye Eco - Recommended for Chronic Dry Eye