About Retaine HPMC
- Preservative-free lubricant eye drop
- Active ingredient: Hypromellose (0.3%)
- Bacteria-resistant application mechanism
- Multi-dose 10mL bottle
I'm never much good at describing drops because there's just so few I tolerate at all. For what it's worth:
In terms of ingredients, at one level this is just another thick hypromellose drop, similar to Genteal or Refresh. On the thick side. When I was testing out the dropper mechanism, I put some in my eyes... with my scleral lenses in... bad idea, much too thick for comfort with the lenses. - But the other thing I noticed on the ingredient list is that it's just plain shorter than almost any other artificial tear, which is interesting. Almost all of them have more "buffers & stuff".
But the standout feature of this drop is actually the bottle. It's one of the preservative free bottle designs. I started stocking this drop specifically because I wanted to get some experience with the bottle. This is definitely the trend to keep your eye on. It means more manufacturers understand that they need to give us preservative-free drops but... that we don't want to be using single-use vials all the time. Some of us are more bothered by the wastage, some are more bothered by the inconvenience.
It took me a bit of practice to figure out how to use this bottle comfortably. But once I did, I *think* I like it better than the bottle used for the other ones (Oasis Tears, FreshKote). It's more predictable. It's a sort of measured unit doser - it clicks and you know it's dispensed a drop. Awkward to handle at first, though.
Retaine® HPMC™ Lubricant Eye Drops is a preservative-free Hypromellose Ophthalmic Solution (0.3%) that provides immediate relief to soothe dry, irritated eyes by resembling natural tears.
Utilizing a proprietary airless application system that prevents harmful bacteria from entering the bottle and contaminating the solution, Retaine® HPMC™ enables delivery of multiple sterile doses to the eye without preservatives that can be damaging to the sensitive ocular surface. Most solutions intended for multiple use require the addition of preservatives, but Retaine® HPMC™ has a three month stability after opening with guaranteed sterility.
Hypromellose Ophthalmic Solution (0.3%)
- Citric acid
- Sodium citrate
- Water for injection
- For the temporary relief of burning, irritation and discomfort due to dryness of the eye, or exposure to wind or sun.
- May be used as a protectant against further irritation.
- For use in the eyes only.
Do not use if solution changes color or becomes cloudy.
- do not touch tip of container to any surface to avoid contamination.
- Replace cap after use.
Stop use and ask a doctor if...
- You experience eye pain, changes in vision, continued redness or irritation of the eye.
- The condition worsens or persists for more than 72 hours.
Keep out of reach of children:
If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.
Instill 1 or 2 drops in the affected eye(s) as needed.
- Use only it tamper seals on top ad bottom flaps are intact.
- Store between 15°-30°C (59°-86°F).
- Keep carton for complete product information.
- Discard after 12 weeks.