About Ivizia Lubricant Eye Drops
- Contains povidone, hyaluronic acid and trehalose
- Unique multi-dose preservative-free bottle
- Use up to 90 days after opening
- Available in 5mL (0.16oz) and 10mL (0.33oz) sizes
Ivizia products are a new brand name in the US as of 2022. They are made by Thea Pharmaceuticals, and distributed by Similasan. They're being advertised quite widely and are available in drugstores, so chances are you've come across them (at least the drops) by now.
Ivizia is a modified version of Thealoz Duo, a very popular European product.
Who is Ivizia best for
Mild to moderate, I'd say.
I consider this drop a "high quality lightweight player", if that makes sense. Good ingredients, but unlikely to be the go-to for people who have severe symptoms unless they just always generally prefer 'thinner' types of drops. It doesn't have the staying power.
Personally, I really like the Ivizia gel, but the drop is not a favorite. - Except for the fact that for me it's non-irritating, and I love the bottle (more on that below).
Things to like about it
1. Preservative-free drops brand
Ivizia brand drops are all preservative-free. I really appreciate this feature. When a brand is PF, you don't have to stop and think, you don't have to hunt and label-read quite as carefully. Most major US brands, by contrast, have both preserved and unpreserved versions of the very same product. That might be fine for people who are "preservative-savvy" - they know how to tell them apart easily. But it puts many people at risk of preservative exposure without knowing anything about the issue.
2. Excellent MDPF bottle
What is an MDPF bottle? "Multi-dose preservative-free". MDPF bottles allow us to have the benefits of preservative-free eye drops in the convenience of a bottle.
In Europe MDPF bottles of various sorts have been standard for years now. The US market has been slow to adjust to this. Many people seem to prefer the single-use twist-off vials. But honestly, we need to get used to them, because MDPF bottles are the future of eyedrops in general.
Anyway, as MDPF bottles go, I consider Ivizia's the best thus far. See picture below. The one on the RIGHT is one of the most common in the US. There are others similar to that with a blue thing in the middle of the top rather than white - lids are slightly different but the bottle itself is mostly the same.
The one on the LEFT is Ivizia. I felt it does a better job of giving you an actual unit dose when you squeeze, rather than "feast or famine", where you sometimes end up with quite a lot coming out. That seems to be particularly a problem with drops that have lipids, like Systane Complete (at least in my personal experience).
POVIDONE: The only reason povidone is in this product is because the FDA will not let companies list sodium hyaluronate as an active ingredient, so European companies who are bringing their HA drops to the US are having to reformulate them and add something else. Most HA drops in the US currently have glycerin, with the exception of Systane Hydration, which has the usual Systane suspects (polyethylene glycol and propylene glycol). So using povidone as the active is a new thing in the HA drop world. Povidone tends to be thought of as rather 'old school' for a lubricant drop. Personally, though, I've always been a fan.
SODIUM HYALURONATE: As you know if you've read anything I've written about eye drops, I'm a big sodium hyaluronate (HA) fan. However, not all HA is equal. The higher the molecular weight, the better - and the more expensive. Very few HA drops have high molecular weight HA (like, currently, only Oasis and Optase brands, as far as I know). We think - though we don't know for a fact - that Ivizia does not have high molecular weight HA, which might make it less useful than it could be for people with severe symptoms. Personally, I think that's a perfectly fair tradeoff for getting this product on the US market at all *AND* getting it on the market cheap! Considering the combination of ingredients and the terrific bottle, I think of this product as a great deal, and I love the fact that it has two sizes.
TREHALOSE: I don't have the technical knowledge to explain why this is 'good stuff', but there's definitely a reason why it's been creeping into more and more US drops. This is a key feature of Thealoz Duo (3%, in fact, though I don't know how much of it is in Ivizia).
YOUR DRY EYES DESERVE BETTER: iVIZIA For Dry Eyes
- Scientifically formulated to relieve dryness, discomfort, and strain from dry eyes.
- Unique formula made with hydrating polymers that form a protective matrix over your eyes, moisturizing hyaluronic acid, and revitalizing trehalose.
- Preservative-free bottle; consistently dispenses drop by drop (does not stream).
- Safe with contact lenses.†
- From the makers of the #1 doctor prescribed* dry eye brand in Europe.
HOW DOES iVIZIA WORK?
POVIDONE (active ingredient) - A hydrating polymer that significantly decreases dry eye discomfort. Hydrating polymers form a protective matrix over the eye.
HYALURONIC ACID "HA" (enhancer) - Also called sodium hyaluronate is widely used and well known in skin care and eye care. One of the most water-loving molecules in nature, it can be described as "nature’s moisturizer". It can bind 1000 times its weight in water.
TREHALOSE (enhancer) - Trehalose is a bioprotectant that can be found in nature. It is a disaccharide synthetized by plants such as the Rose of Jericho, as a response to stress (dryness, osmopressure, freezing). Trehalose is extracted from starch in a large-scale enzymatic process.
Only available from iVIZIA, our unique preservative-free ABAK™ bottle eliminates the need for preservatives, which can be irritating to the eye over time.
Unlike some other preservative-free bottles, the ABAK™ bottle is larger, easy to squeeze and consistently dispenses drop-by-drop, without “streaming” or squirting.
HIGHLY EFFECTIVE, LONG-LASTING, GENTLE TO THE EYE
Povidone provides lubrication, while enhancers like sodium hyaluronate and trehalose work together to last up to 4X longer.
Trehalose and Hyaluronic Acid "HA" work together to provide a significant increase in tear film thickness for up to 240 minutes after a single administration compared with patients receiving a solution of HA alone.
Active Ingredients / Purpose
Povidone 0.5% - Eye lubricant
Uses (one or more of these)
- For the temporary relief of burning and irritation due to dryness of the eye
- For the temporary relief of discomfort due to minor irritations of the eye
- For use as a protectant against further irritation or to relieve dryness of the eye
- For use as a lubricant to prevent further irritation or to relieve dryness of the eye
- For external use only (in the eye)
- Wait at least 10 minutes between using two different eye products
- Do not use if you are allergic to any of the ingredients
- If solution changes color or becomes cloudy, do not use
- To avoid contamination, do not touch the tip of container to any surface. Replace cap after using.
- Use up to 90 days after opening. Store below 77F. Do not use after the expiration date on the carton. Expiration date refers to the product in intact packaging, stored correctly.
- If you experience eye pain, changes in vision, continued redness or irritation of the eye, or if the condition worsens or persists for more than 72 hours, discontinue use and consult a doctor.
- After first use, if exposed to low atmospheric pressure, the bottle can leak.
If pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breast feeding, ask a health professional before use.
Keep out of the reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
When using this product:
- Rare possibility of mild eye irritation and ocular redness. In such cases, contact lens wearers should remove their contact lenses.
- You might experience bothersome symptoms such as a burning sensation, stinging sensation, foreign body sensation in the eye and blurred vision for a short time.
- Wash hands well before use.
- Instill 1 or 2 drops in the affected eye(s) as needed. Can be used when wearing contact lenses.
- *To limit blurriness when using contact lenses: remove contacts, apply drops, then insert contacts.
Hydrochloric acid, purified water, sodium chloride, sodium hyaluronate, trehalose, tromethamine
1800-240-9780 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Do not use if tamper evident ring is broken or bottle is damaged.