- 5 pair "trial or travel" pack
- Convenient way to seal eyelids down at night
- Alternative to medical tape
- Product dimensions: 8.8 cm x 3.8 cm
Description (by Rebecca)
Updated November 2020
As has so often been the case at the Dry Eye Shop, I was put wise to this product by a customer who had come across it, tried it and liked it (you know who you are... thank you again!). We first began stocking it in 2017.
EyeLocc is designed for sealing lids of patients under general anaesthesia during surgery, and is a very practical alternative to using medical tape. I really like the tabs it has at the sides which make it much easier to get a grip on it to remove it easily - especially if you have to take one off during the night to get around. And just being clearly designed for the eye's shape makes it more user-friendly than medical tape. Best, the window part in the center has a gentler adhesive than the rest so that the most sensitive skin affected is not exposed to the stronger adhesive of the outer part. This is also a bonus for those with brittle lashes that are easily pulled out by conventional tapes.
EyeLocc has been helpful to many users for a number of reasons:
- It's a user-friendly alternative to taping the lids down. EyeLocc is easier to apply and remove.
- It's reasonably priced, compared (for example) to disposable moisture chamber patches. EyeLocc does not vault the eye like the bubbles, but it does secure the lids.
- People who, due to their orbital bone structure, have difficulty securing the lid down with tape, sometimes have better success with EyeLocc.
- People with brittle eyelashes due to chronic blepharitis/MGD find that it is much easier on the lashes during removal, because the window part of the strip has a very light adhesive.
- People who cannot tolerate adhesive on their eyelids sometimes find that they tolerate EyeLocc better as most of the area covering the lid is under the 'window'.
Broadly speaking, I think this is a good user-friendly entry-level product for people who have never taped a lid down but who have reason to believe taping would benefit them, such as people with nocturnal lagophthalmos and RCE patients who need to immobilize the lids to prevent erosions.
- Height. it isn't very tall, so some people with large eyes and large orbits may not find it adequate.
- Ointment users: Ointment users may find that after they lift it, they have trouble sticking it back down if the ointment has seeped onto the skin under where the strip goes.
- Adhesive: People vary greatly in their adhesive tolerance around the eye area! We make no promises about this, and we encourage you to use the sample pack rather than purchasing a whole box.
Important safety note!
Under normal circumstances, adhesive on tapes or strips like this should not come off the strip and remain on your skin. But it *can* happen, and if it does, it can be very uncomfortable as well as difficult to remove. If you experience any adhesive from EyeLocc strips remaining on the skin, please let us know, but most importantly, please be careful what you use to remove it. The manufacturer recommends any edible oil (we suggest coconut oil). Never use solvents on or near your eyes. Don't attempt to remove it with water or alcohol. Further, please let us know if you feel you have experienced any irritation or problem from the adhesive beyond what you may have experienced from other conventional tapes/adhesives.
Some time back, we had a small number of customer reports about adhesive transferring to the skin. For a few of them, it was an extremely unpleasant experience and we stopped selling the product for some months while it was investigated. (The manufacturer was unable to identify any defect; we discarded the remainder of the lot and eventually resumed sales as we had so many customers who wanted it.)
In November 2020, we have had one more report of this happening. We are working with the manufacturer to see what can be done, just as we did last year. Meantime, we are reluctant to withdraw the product because we have so many people who need it and are aware of the risk, but we urge anyone concerned to simply not use this product. (We will send a return label and refund the purchase for anyone who wishes to return theirs.)
The manufacturer is, at our request, working on developing a new version with a completely different and gentler type of adhesive. I will continue to update this page with any changes.
Description (from the manufacturer's literature)
What is EyeLocc™?
The EyeLocc™ is a unique dressing specifically designed for eyelid occlusion during general anaesthesia.
It provides quick, complete, and safe eye closure. This ensures that the eye maintains its moisture throughout the procedure, and is protected from external harm.
The EyeLocc™ has many benefits, including:
- Saves theatre time
- Easy to apply and remove
- Sterile to combat cross-contamination and spread of hospital acquired infections such as MRSA/VRE
- Hypoallergenic and latex free
- Helps prevent complications such as exposure keratitis and corneal abrasions
- Inner clear window allows for intraoperative monitoring of the eye
- Made from flexible material that conforms completely to the eye socked leaving no gaps.
- Multizone adhesive ensures it stays in place for long periods of time, while preventing eyelid tearing and bruising upon removal
Why is EyeLocc™ the better choice?
Sterile and individually wrapped, the EyeLocc™ significantly decreases application and removal time, and the risk of cross-contamination.
An inner clear window allows for intraoperative monitoring of eye closure, while an outer opaque border assists with correct placement of the dressing.
The dressing is extremely flexible, making it conform perfectly to the eye socket leaving no gaps.
The inner window section has gentle adhesive, preventing eyelid trauma and removal of eyelashes, while ensuring the eye remains closed throughout the procedure.
The outer section has stronger adhesive, completely sealing the eye, protecting from air, chemicals, and foreign materials. It also maintains eye closure for extended periods of time.
Non-adhesive tabs allow for easy application and removal, even with gloved hands.
Steps for application:
- Open the packaging, from the end marked "Peel from this end".
- Note that there are two identical EyeLocc™s in each package, and either EyeLocc™ can be used on either of the patient's eyes.
- Remove middle portion of backing material.
- Hold on to the non-stick tabs, one in each hand.
- Place the EyeLocc™ over the closed eye so the eyelashes and majority of the upper eyelid can be seen through the clear centre viewing window.
- Ensure that the EyeLocc™ has made a tight seal with the eye socket and there are no gaps between the EyeLocc™ and the skin.
- Repeat with the second EyeLocc™.
- To remove the EyeLocc™, gently peel it off from the medial to the lateral corner of the eye, using the non-stick tabs.
- Dispose of the EyeLocc™s. The dressings are not intended for multiple applications.