About Systane Hydration Lubricant Eye Drops
- Active ingredients: polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol
- Contains sodium hyaluronate
- Box of 30 0.7mL vials
Description (by Rebecca)
Systane + hyaluronate
Systane Hydration is basically regular Systane plus hyaluronic acid (HA), otherwise known as sodium hyaluronate or (as they are saying) just plain hyaluronate. HA is a good thing, and seeing more and more US companies jump on that bandwagon is a good thing.
We now - finally - have quite a few on the US market, and it will be interesting to see how this one goes down, so please share your experiences if you try it!
Outside the US, HA is used as the activate ingredient in many very popular drops such as Hylo Forte. However, due to (in my opinion) antiquated FDA regulations, American manufacturers are not allowed to list HA as an active ingredient - which also means they can't advertise it (a/k/a explain its benefits). In addition, the concentration of HA is not listed since it's on the "inactives" list. So annoying.
But as I was saying, they have to list something else as the active ingredient. Each manufacturer has gone down a different path. For Oasis, and for Clear Eyes Pure Relief, it's glycerin. For Refresh Relieva, it's CMC and glycerin, so basically a cross between Refresh Plus and the others. For Blink, it's polyethylene glycol. And now for Systane, it's the usual Systane stuff (PEG and prop glycol).
Perhaps by the time industry straggler Bausch & Lomb gets around to thinking about making its own, the FDA will find a way to allow them to start talking about the benefits. Not holding my breath though.
A big selling point on this drop is the generous 0.7mL contents in each vial. Compare that to 0.4 for Blink and 0.3 for Oasis... that's a lot!
Description (from the manufacturer's literature)
The formula with hyaluronate in SYSTANE® HYDRATION Preservative-Free Eye Drops replenishes and rehydrates the eye surface for long-lasting relief. Available in convenient single-use vials for on-the-go dry eye symptom relief.
INGREDIENTS, USAGE & SAFETY
Systane® Hydration UD lubricant eye drops is a sterile solution containing sodium hyaluronate, polyethylene glycol 400, propylene glycol, hydroxypropyl guar, sorbitol, aminomethyl propanol, boric acid, sodium borate, potassium chloride and sodium chloride.
Lubricant Eye Drops
For the temporary relief of burning and irritation due to dryness of the eye. May also be used for rewetting of all silicone hydrogel and soft (hydrophilic) contact lenses for minor irritation, discomfort and blurring.
- To avoid contamination, never touch the tip of the vial to any surface.
- Use before the expiration date marked on the product.
- Tamper evident: do not use if package or unit dose vials are opened or damaged.
- Discard any remaining contents after use. Do not save solution in an opened vial. Do not reuse.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
- Twist off the top of the single-use vial, instill one or two drops in the eye(s) and blink. Discard vial after use.
- Systane Hydration UD lubricant eye drops may be used as needed throughout the day to relieve the symptoms of dry eyes.
- While wearing contact lenses, if minor irritation, discomfort, or blurring occurs, twist off the top of the single-use vial and place 1 or 2 drops on the lens and blink 2 or 3 times.
Do not store above 30˚C.