About Ivizia Lubricant Eye Gel
- Contains povidone, sodium hyaluronate and trehalose
- For severe dry eyes
- Box of 30 single-use preservative-free vials (0.014oz/0.4g ea)
Quick update September 2023
If you're concerned about the 9/11/23 FDA warning letter to Similasan, please note that Ivizia is not made by Similasan. Similasan is simply the company's distribution partner in the US. Ivizia eye drops are made by Thea Pharmaceuticals in France.
Ivizia products are a new brand name in the US as of 2022. They are made by Thea Pharmaceuticals. They're being advertised quite widely and are available in drugstores, so chances are you've come across them (at least the drops) by now.
This gel is too thick for a multi-dose bottle, so it's in single-use vials. But don't forget to check out Ivizia Lubricant Eye Drops - they're in a particularly good multi-dose bottle and come in two sizes.Ivizia is a slightly modified version of Thealoz Duo, a very popular European product.
There are several things to like about the Ivizia line of drops/gel:
1. Preservative-free eye drop brand
Ivizia brand eye drops are preservative-free. I really appreciate this feature. When a brand is PF, you don't have to stop and think, you don't have to hunt and label-read quite as carefully. Most major US brands, by contrast, have both preserved and unpreserved versions of the very same product. That might be fine for people who are "preservative-savvy" - they know how to tell them apart easily. But it puts many people at risk of preservative exposure without knowing anything about the issue.
POVIDONE: The reason povidone is in this product is because the FDA will not let companies list sodium hyaluronate as an active ingredient, so European companies who are bringing their HA drops to the US are having to reformulate them and add something else. Most HA drops in the US currently have glycerin, with the exception of Systane Hydration, which has the usual Systane suspects (polyethylene glycol and propylene glycol). So using povidone as the active is a new thing in the HA drop world. Povidone tends to be thought of as rather 'old school' for a lubricant drop. Personally, though, I've always been a fan.
SODIUM HYALURONATE: As you know if you've read anything I've written about eye drops, I'm a big sodium hyaluronate (HA) fan. However, not all HA is equal. The higher the molecular weight, the better - and the more expensive. While Ivizia gel is about as thick as other "liquigel" type products that are in single-use vials, we don't think it has the higher molecular weight HA, so it remains to be seen how it will compare (for overnight use) to the known higher molecular weight ones (Oasis Tears Plus and Optase Dry Eye Intense, in particular). Make sure to post your experience in the reviews or shoot us an email!
CARBOMER: Increased viscosity.
TREHALOSE: I don't have the technical knowledge to explain why this is 'good stuff', but there's definitely a reason why it's been creeping into more and more US drops. This is a key feature of Thealoz Duo (3%, in fact, though I don't know how much of it is in Ivizia).
YOUR DRY EYES DESERVE BETTER: iVIZIA For Dry Eyes
- Scientifically formulated to relieve dryness, discomfort, and strain from dry eyes.
- Unique formula made with hydrating polymers that form a protective matrix over your eyes, moisturizing hyaluronic acid, and revitalizing trehalose.
- Preservative-free bottle; consistently dispenses drop by drop (does not stream).
- Safe with contact lenses.†
- From the makers of the #1 doctor prescribed* dry eye brand in Europe.
HOW DOES iVIZIA WORK?
POVIDONE (active ingredient) - A hydrating polymer that significantly decreases dry eye discomfort. Hydrating polymers form a protective matrix over the eye.
HYALURONIC ACID "HA" (enhancer) - Also called sodium hyaluronate is widely used and well known in skin care and eye care. One of the most water-loving molecules in nature, it can be described as "nature’s moisturizer". It can bind 1000 times its weight in water.
TREHALOSE (enhancer) - Trehalose is a bioprotectant that can be found in nature. It is a disaccharide synthetized by plants such as the Rose of Jericho, as a response to stress (dryness, osmopressure, freezing). Trehalose is extracted from starch in a large-scale enzymatic process.
Active Ingredients / Purpose
Povidone 0.5% - Eye lubricant
Uses (one or more of these)
- For the temporary relief of burning and irritation due to dryness of the eye
- For the temporary relief of discomfort due to minor irritations of the eye
- For use as a protectant against further irritation or to relieve dryness of the eye
- For use as a lubricant to prevent further irritation or to relieve dryness of the eye
- For external use only (in the eye)
- Wait at least 15 minutes between using two different eye products. Use this gel last.
- Do not use if you are allergic to any of the ingredients
- If solution changes color or becomes cloudy, do not use.
- Do not use if the pouch or vial is damaged.
- To avoid contamination, do not touch the tip of container to any surface. Do not reuse. Once opened, discard.
- Store below 77F. Expiration date refers to the product in intact packaging, stored correctly.
- If you experience eye pain, changes in vision, continued redness or irritation of the eye, or if the condition worsens or persists for more than 72 hours, discontinue use and consult a doctor.
If pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breast feeding, ask a health professional before use.
Keep out of the reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
When using this product:
- Rare possibility of mild eye irritation and ocular redness. In such cases, contact lens wearers should remove their contact lenses.
- You might experience bothersome symptoms such as a burning sensation, stinging sensation, foreign body sensation in the eye and blurred vision for a short time.
- Wash hands well before use.
- Take one single-use vial off the strip. Turn upside down, tap the vial and twist off the top.
- Instill 1 or 2 drops in the affected eye(s) as needed. Can be used when wearing contact lenses.
Gel is particularly suited for severe dry eye or nighttime use.
If you wear contact lenses: you must remove them before using Ivizia gel. After use wait at least 30 minutes before putting your lenses back in.
Carbomer, purified water, sodium hyaluronate, sodiumhydroxide, sorbital, trehalose.
1800-240-9780 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Do not use if pouch or vial is damaged or broken.