About Systane Hydration Multi-dose Preservative-free
- Active ingredients: polyethylene gllycol, propylene glycol
- Contains sodium hyaluronate
- 10mL (0.34 fl oz) preservative-free multi-dose bottle
This is the PF multidose version of Systane Hydration.
Systane Hydration is basically regular Systane plus hyaluronic acid (HA), otherwise known as sodium hyaluronate or (as they are saying) just plain hyaluronate. HA is a good thing, and seeing more and more US companies jump on that bandwagon is a good thing.
We now - finally - have quite a few on the US market. Outside the US, HA is used as the activate ingredient in many very popular drops such as Hylo Forte. However, due to (in my opinion) antiquated FDA regulations, American manufacturers are not allowed to list HA as an active ingredient - which also means they can't advertise it (a/k/a explain its benefits). In addition, the concentration of HA is not listed since it's on the "inactives" list. So annoying.
But as I was saying, they have to list something else as the active ingredient. Each manufacturer has gone down a different path. For Oasis, and for Clear Eyes Pure Relief, it's glycerin. For Refresh Relieva, it's CMC and glycerin, so basically a cross between Refresh Plus and the others. For Blink, it's polyethylene glycol. And now for Systane, it's the usual Systane stuff (PEG and prop glycol).
If you're a Systane fan, I encourage you to try Systane Hydration, since you're already used to the basic ingredients and this would give you the benefit of the HA.
I'm very happy to see more and more preservative-free multi-dose bottles on the US market, though they are still uncommon and there is not a lot of awareness about them. These bottles are more economical than vials as well as more environmentally friendly. The one downside is that they are a little harder to use. For most of us, not a problem, just a matter of getting used to. But for arthritic hands, it can be a more serious problem.
UPDATE June 2021: I'm amazed at how much strongly positive feedback I've had about this drop in the short time since it was launched.
New SYSTANE® HYDRATION Multi-Dose Preservative-Free eye drops help restore moisture to dry eyes with the soothing relief of HydroBoost technology.
Polyethylene Glycol 400 0.4%
Propylene Glycol 0.3%
For use as a protectant against further irritation or to relieve dryness of the eye.
For external use only
Do not use
- if this product changes color or becomes cloudy
- if you are sensitive to any ingredient in this product
When using this product
- do not touch tip of container to any surface to avoid contamination
- replace cap after each use
Stop use and ask a doctor if you experience any of the following:
- eye pain
- changes in vision
- continued redness or irritation of the eye
- condition worsens or persists for more than 72 hours
Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
- put 1 or 2 drops in the affected eye(s) as needed
Directions for using this bottle:
- Hold the bottle just below the cap and twist the cap to open.
- BEFORE FIRST USE, hold the bottle upside down and dispense one drop of product to discard.
- Shake the bottle downward to remove residual product (see picture on box)
- Place 1 or 2 drops in the affected eye(s) as needed and blink
- After use, shake the bottle downward to remove residual product that may be left on the tip (see picture on box).
- Replace cap after use.
store at room temperature
aminomethylpropanol, boric acid, hydroxypropyl guar, potassium chloride, purified water, sodium borate, sodium chloride, sodium hyaluronate, sorbitol. May contain hydrochloric acid and/or sodium hydroxide to adjust pH.