About the PROSE Case
- Used off-label with hydrogen peroxide disinfections systems (e.g. Clear Care)
- Suggested for PROSE or scleral lenses larger than 16mm and up to 22mm diameter (Basket diameter is approximately 25mm). Not appropriate for corneal RGP or soft lenses.
- Catalyst disc NOT included and NOT sold separately either except as part of a Clear Care kit; will need regular replacement (2 months suggested)
- Recommended replacement interval for case is 3 months
- Requires apprx 1.5oz / 44mL ClearCare per use.
Description (by Rebecca)
IMPORTANT: This product's instructions involve an off-label use of the Clear Care disinfection system. Do not use unless recommended by your lens provider. Scleral lenses are specialty devices for small markets and unfortunately sometimes we patients are limited to unregistered or "off-label" device and solution usage out of necessity - in this case, the size of our lenses and the fact that no lens solution manufacturer provides a suitable case for us. Again, whenever considering a device or solution on this basis, please make sure you're following your doctor's guidance.
The PROSE Case is popularly used for hydrogen peroxide disinfection of PROSE and scleral lenses due to the large baskets provided for each lens.
This is only a case and does not contain a platinum disc to neutralize hydrogen peroxide! In order to use the PROSE case, you will need to purchase a ClearCare (or similar) kit regularly to get a catalyst disc to use with your PROSE case. This catalyst disc needs regular replacement (common rule of thumb is 2 months). In the photo above, you can see a ClearCare case with the catalyst attached near the bottom. You'll need to remove this and put it in the bottom of the PROSE case.
This is a specialty device for a relatively rare need. If you intend to use it, please:
- use only cases and disinfection systems approved by your lens provider;
- read the Clear Care package insert (note - as you will see, Clear Care is not recommended for use with any case except the one provided in the box)
- read BostonSight's instructions (p 15-18), reproduced below for convenience.
You are always welcome to call us and we'll share what we know, but your provider should be the last word on how you care for your lenses.
Instructions for Usage and Care
Note: PROSE cases are contract-manufactured for BostonSight, from whom we purchase them for distribution. Since they are not manufactured under a national brand, they do not come packaged with detailed instructions. Our recommendation for those whose provider has directed them to use the PROSE case is that you (1) Read all the instructions for Clear Care, and (2) follow disinfection instructions in BostonSight's Device and Care Guide, duplicated below with permission, and also linked so that you can see the most current version (see pages 15-18).
Set Up: Your PROSE Case
To start, you will need to have a clean work surface and the following supplies:
- One PROSE case
- One unopened package of Clear Care
- Please note that you can use original Clear Care or Clear Care Plus
- Remove the lid from the PROSE case.
- Remove the lid from the small Clear Care case.
- Remove/break off the platinum disc from the arbor on the bottom of the Clear Care case.
- Discard the Clear Care case. *NEVER attempt to disinfect your PROSE device in the case included with the Clear Care Solution
- If your PROSE case still has the arbor (stem) attached to the bottom of the basket assembly, it will need to be removed by using pliers to grasp the arbor and gently bending the arbor until it breaks. If not, continue to step 6.
- Drop the platinum disc from the Clear Care case into the PROSE case so that it sits on the bottom of the PROSE case.
Your PROSE case is now properly set up for nightly disinfection.
We recommend replacing the platinum disc every 2 months.
We recommend replacing your PROSE case every 3 months.
Set Up: PROSE Device Care and Cleaning
You will need a soft towel to be placed on top of a clean work surface where you
will clean your device(s).
You will need the following supplies:
- A PROSE case with platinum disc from the Clear Care disinfection case
- Preservative-free saline
- MiraFlow, Sereine, Lens Fresh, Unique pH, Boston Simplus or Tangible Clean* (*Tangible Clean is for Hydra-PEG devices only)
- One bottle of Clear Care or 3% hydrogen peroxide
Nightly Disinfection Protocol for your PROSE Devices
- Wash your hands thoroughly with non-moisturizing soap and dry completely with a lint-free towel before you begin.
- Place your device in the palm of your hand. Place one drop of your daily cleaner on the outside surface of the device and rub for 15 seconds. Place another drop on the inner surface and then rub again for 15 seconds. DO NOT rub the device between your fingers to clean it. This can cause the device to warp.
- While handling the PROSE device gently by the edges, rinse the device thoroughly with either preservative-free saline or Bausch + Lomb Sensitive Eyes Plus. Under no circumstances should tap water be used for rinsing.
- Gently separate the basket from the basket assembly by pulling the tab located near the arbor so that the basket is horizontal.
- Place the device, bowl side up, into the basket. While keeping the basket horizontal, bring the basket assembly down onto the basket. To avoid damaging or losing your PROSE devices, DO NOT attempt to bring the basket up to the basket assembly.
- Repeat for the left device and place into the empty basket.
- Fill the PROSE case with Clear Care solution or 3% hydrogen (peroxide (H²
O²) to the fill line. It is okay if the platinum disc floats up to the top – the basket will push it back down.
- Place the basket assembly in the case and secure the cover. DO NOT over tighten the cover because the threads may split and break. It is okay if the platinum disc does not sit flat at the bottom of the case. It will still work properly even if it is wedged on the side of the case.
To properly allow the Clear Care or 3% hydrogen peroxide solution to neutralize, devices must remain in the case for AT LEAST 6 hours.
NOTE: If you must remove the devices before the disinfection process has ended, rinse them thoroughly with preservative-free saline. Then soak devices in fresh preservative-free saline, in a clean contact lens case, for at least 5 minutes. Repeat with fresh preservative-free saline solution for an additional 5-minute soak. Rinse again with preservative-free saline before applying to your eye. If using a screw top contact lens case, clean the case with an alcohol wipe and air dry.
Nightly Disinfection Protocol for Your PROSE Devices Using 3% hydrogen peroxide (H²O²) Without Clear Care Platinum Disc
- Clean PROSE device(s) with your daily cleaner by following steps 1-6 on prior page.
- Rinse device(s) thoroughly with saline solution.
- Fill the PROSE case with 3% hydrogen peroxide to the fill line.
- Place the basket assembly in the case and secure the cover. DO NOT over tighten the cover because the threads may split and break. To properly allow the solution to disinfect, devices must remain in the case for AT LEAST 6 hours.
- In the morning, remove device(s) from hydrogen peroxide.
- Rinse the device(s) thoroughly with preservative-free saline. Then soak device(s) in fresh preservative-free saline, in a clean contact lens case, for at least 5 minutes. Repeat with fresh preservative-free saline solution for an additional 5-minute soak. Rinse again with preservative-free saline before reapplying to your eye.
NOTE: Brown bottle 3% hydrogen peroxide is NOT FDA approved for PROSE device disinfection. It is not micro-filtered for impurities and does not contain stabilizing buffers or salts like Clear Care. Some patients report redness and/or discomfort with its use. If at any time while using 3% hydrogen peroxide you experience increased redness, burning, or pain, discontinue usage and use ONLY Clear Care.
Dry Eye Shop Warranty Information
If your case breaks within the first three months of use, we will replace it at no cost.
DURABILITY NOTE: THIS CASE IS DELICATE!
- Please handle it with care.
- Be very gentle with the hinges.
- DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the lid or the case will crack and leak