Currently both sizes are on a manufacturer backorder and our quantity is limited
About Ortolux Eye Bubble (Moisture Chamber)
- VIDEO: Skip to 1:45 to see just this product
- Bubble eye bandage
- Clear, self-adhesive, latex-free
- Single use
- Also available in vented style (Ortolux Air)
- Sizes: Small (3-3/4" x 2-9/16") and large (4-3/8" x 3-1/8")
Description (by Rebecca)
Ortolux is a very practical bubble bandage and compares favorably to NITEYE in most (but not all) respects.
First, it comes in two versions - moisture chamber (this one) and vented (Ortolux Air). NITEYE also has a vented counterpart (Visitec), but its holes are much larger. Ortolux Air has quite small vent holes, so for those who are not allowed to use anything airtight over their eyes but need dry eye protection, it's still a decent option for blocking drafts and retaining some moisture.
Next, it comes in two sizes.
Last and best, Ortolux bubbles are shallower and more tapered than NITEYE - they don't protrude so much. So, for example, if you need daytime protection for an exposed cornea (Bell's palsy, AN, etc) and want to wear it under glasses, the Ortolux Eye Bubble is much more likely to fit... the NITEYE bubbles simply vault too high.
The tradeoff: The adhesive is stickier than NITEYE. It's going to be OK for some people but not others, and the more sensitive or fragile your skin is, the harder a time you would have with this product.
Tips for dealing with sticky adhesives on sensitive skin:
- Tape under adhesive? One of my customers who prefers Ortolux but has sensitive skin had the bright idea to use their own medical tape under the adhesive flange, and I know quite a few people who are doing this now with Mepitac. Not a cheap approach, but it works.
- Apply it to your arm first, to "take the edge off" the adhesive.
- Castor oil? Some people put a little bit of castor oil, or some kind of skin care product, on the skin where the adhesive part will go - enough to buffer the adhesive but not prevent it from sticking down.
- If you have other tips please share them!
Description (from the manufacturer's literature)
Clear dome for clear central vision with latex-free adhesive edge. Helps to prevent the cornea from drying out. Ideal product for patients with Bell's Palsy.