Quartz silicone shield
About Onyix & Quartz Silicone Shields
- Soft, flexible, foamless dry eye night shield
- Compatible with almost all CPAP/BiPAP masks
- Choice of clear (Quartz) or opaque black (Onyix)
- Comfortable, fully adjustable fabric strap
- Canadian customers please purchase at restoreyes.ca
- Included: Microfiber sack (doubles as polishing cloth) Update January 2018: Instead of the stainless steel case, this product will now be packaged in the clear plastic tube that Tranquileyes kits come in.
- Returnable (used or unused). See policy details
Description (by Rebecca)
This is my personal favorite for night dry eye protection. It was developed by Eye Eco specifically to protect CPAP mask users from air leaks, but after its launch it quickly became my go-to product for a great many people for night dry eye protection with or without CPAP.
Onyix/Quartz shields are not necessarily the products that provide maximal moisture, but they provide more than adequate moisture for a great many of us and they are small, user-friendly, easy to keep clean, low profile, and in general just very inobtrusive. So although I consider EyeSeals 4.0 superior in terms of protection offered (as well as some other advantages) I have stuck with Quartz for my personal use.
For CPAP users, Onyix & Quartz should remain the first choice for most people except those with larger hat or orbit sizes who will want to go straight to the EyeSeals.
I also find that many users like to rotate between products depending on time of year and the severity of their symptoms, so far example they might use Onyix/Quartz in the spring and summer months and then go back to Tranquileyes or EyeSeals 4.0 for the fall and winter when they are battling heated dry eye at night.
Suggested best uses
- First time dry eye shield users. This is the easiest one.
- Users who want something low profile and lightweight. This is a great way to block all drafts and trap a fair amount of moisture without wearing anything large, thick, heavy or foam lined.
- People who have skin reactions to the foam on Tranquileyes but for whom EyeSeals is too big or the material too heavy.
- CPAP/BiPAP users. I have high confidence of the compatibility of this product with almost all masks. I very rarely hear from anyone who cannot get it to work properly with their mask. (It is returnable/refundable if it doesn't work out for any reason - please see return policy.)
Sizing: Onyix & Quartz are too small for some users, or may sit too close to their eyes if they have large orbits and/or very long eyelashes.
Indentations: People who are prone to edema or who have very delicate, impressible skin around the eyes.
Alternatives to consider
Please see our Product Guide: Night Dry Eye Protection Devices for suggested guidelines on product choices.
Description (from the manufacturer's literature)
about the product:
Recommended for sheltering eyes during sleep and air travel. Onyix™ (pronounced ON-ix) is an extremely soft, flexible, foamless shield made from silicone.
It gently shelters eyes from drafts and low humidity environments while also fogging up, creating a moisture rich environment while you sleep or rest. That makes it perfect for dry eye sufferers.
Lightweight and comfortable, the product is made in the USA, and is 100% Latex Free.
included in the kit:
- One Onyix™ silicone shield
- One microfiber travel sack
- One stainless steel container
Usage and Care
What are Onyix & Quartz Silicone Shields used for?
Onyix and Quartz are used for dry eye protection at night and to protect CPAP/BiPAP mask users from air leaks.
Instructions for use
Simply adjust the head strap until it's comfortable, and wear while you sleep. The blackout lenses make it completely dark, helping to promote relaxing, restful sleep.
Cleaning and care
To clean shield, wash with baby shampoo and rinse well with warm water. Dry with enclosed microfiber sack. Wash the head band as needed with cold water and mild soap, rinse well, squeeze out excess moisture and air dry.