Last updated 10/13/2020
Where is Lobob ESC?
Optimum by Lobob Extra Strength Cleaner... Some of us know it as Optimum, some of us know it as Lobob, some of us know it as ESC. By any of these names, it's still the best darned "rub" cleaning solution for scleral lenses. (Except, of course Hydra PEG coated lenses, because it will strip the coating.)
Anyway, whatever you call it, it's out of production, has been so for more than a year, and at this point it seems unlikely it will return to the market, at least not anytime soon.
Lobob products were made by a contract manufacturer (Altaire) that had its operations interrupted by extensive recalls of eye care products in July 2019. Some of you may remember some massive recalls of over-the-counter eye drops and ointments. Lobob solutions were not recalled, but manufacturing ceased. As at this writing, there is no indication the manufacturing facility has resumed operations.
This is a huge problem for the scleral lens community, as Lobob ESC is a top recommended 'rub' cleaning solution.
What can I use instead of Lobob ESC?
- Miraflow: Miraflow is an excellent cleaning solution. It was missing for several months but as of this writing (October 2020) appears to be available for purchase again at miraflow.com.
- Multi-purpose solutions: Many people don't know that these can be used for rub cleaning. Unique pH is one of the most popular amongst scleral lens users. Additional good multipurpose solutions are Boston Simplus and Tangible Clean.
- Sereine? As of this writing (October 2020) this appears to still be out of stock, but you can always check MyEyeSupply.com's Sereine page for current availability.
Please talk to your eye doctor for their specific recommendations.
Other Lobob products
Here is the current status of other Lobob products that we used to stock.
- Lobob CDS is also unavailable. CDS users are recommended to switch to another multi-purpose solution.
- Lobob's Sof/Pro2 (generic for Miraflow) has unfortunately been discontinued.