About Eyedration Air-Activated Steam Mask
- No heat source required
- Ultra lightweight
- 16 masks per box
This disposable, self-heating mask is a relatively new heat mask product, and a very important one for certain users or certain situations.
Each mask is folded and sealed in a foil wrapper. It starts heating up as soon as you tear open the wrapper.
This is similar in concept to Eyegiene, a system with individually wrapped self-heating sachets, which you place in each side of a mask made for the purpose. But with Eyedration, the mask itself is disposable, and is a single unit contain the self-heating part.
The other type of self-heating warm compresses are "instant" - the ones with a metal "snap" disk that that you flick back and forth to activate. Those have to be boiled after each use to reset them. Examples: ThermoEyes (one of the two types of heat inserts for Tranquileyes goggles) and EyeCloud.
I think this is the IDEAL option for travel. No microwave needed, not hot water needed, no boiling needed. Carry a couple pouches on the plane - and keep some with you if you don't expect to have a microwave available (or aren't sure).
For people cannot tolerate weight on their lids, this is the ideal warm compress. For some people, the weight of a classic microwavable compress causes excessive vision blurring, so this featherweight mask is a good alternative.
If you find that you're not putting in the effort to keep a warm compress clean, disposable ones may be a decent option at times.
Cost is the obvious one. There are just 16 to a box. To be fair, a box of 30 would have been awfully large. And honestly, I don't really think $20 is an exorbitant price to ask for these - but the point is, for people who are doing a warm compress once or twice a day, this is a (relatively speaking) a very expensive way to go.
Also - waste (outer packaging).
Please note additionally:
- The "Cautions" section on the product packaging is in very small print, so please make sure to read it here under the instructions! Please note that they specifically advise against use by people with rosacea around the eye.
- I have chosen to omit descriptions and stick with instructions for use and warnings. Descriptive information on the packaging contains statements (direct or implied) relating to meibomian gland conditions which appear to be medical claims that may not be appropriate for devices which have not been specifically evaluated by the FDA.
Instructions for use:
Remove eye mask from sealed pouch. The eye mask will begin to warm up when opened. Use immediately.
Wear the mask with the white surface facing you, making contact with eyes. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oils or aromatherapy if desired.
Keep eyes closed during 20-30 minutes of wear.
Please note: Temporary blurred vision immediately after wearing the Eyedration Air-Activated Heat mask is normal and expected in many individuals.
- Infants, people with physical disabilities, and those with cognitive impairments should use this product with caution.
- Do not use this product if the user is suffering from any kind of active infection of the eyes.
- Avoid using this product if the user has an eye injury, swelling, eczema, or rosacea around the eyes.
- Eye drop users should only use the mask approximately 15 minuts after instillation of medicine.
- Do not use the product if you have found it ripped or contents leaking.
- Immediately stop using the product if you feel any discomfort and contact your eye care provider at once.
- For external use only.
Material inside the mask is recyclable and can be used as fertilizer.