About Optase Hylo Relief
- Active ingredient: Glycerin 0.25%
- Contains sodium hyaluronate
- European-style preservative-free multi-dose bottle
- Contact lens compatible
- 0.33 fl oz (10mL)
This is Scope's latest Optase brand eye drop and I think this one has a high likelihood of turning out to be their most popular dry eye drop.
An anytime drop
Optase Hylo Relief is not as viscous (thick) as their other ones (Optase Dry Eye Intense, Optase MGD), so it does not blur vision as long, which makes it a more practical "daytime, anytime" eye drop.
A new preservative-free bottle
The most immediately noticeable thing about Optase Hylo Relief is the bottle. It is the European style preservative-free multi-dose bottle with the pump on the bottom. Some longtime dry eye patients may be familiar with this either from having used Ocusoft's Retaine HMPC product, or from purchasing European drops on sites that still allow unregistered imports. But for many people, this bottle will be very new.
I will be very interested to hear what people think of the pump style, as compared with the "flat-top" multi-dose preservative-free bottles! To me, a big advantage is the better single-drop control. I suspect that people with arthritis may have a harder time with the pump, but not sure. Please, if you try this, post reviews with details of what you do and do not like about the bottle in comparison with other preservative-free multi-dose bottles!
The latest European reformulated drop
Scope Ophthalmics (makers of Optase brand) have been in the vanguard of the wave of European eye drops entering the US market. Most of these drops have sodium hyaluronate as the advertised ingredient in Europe, and to meet FDA standards they have to be reformulated to a certain extent, which is why glycerin listed as the active ingredient in so many.
What is OPTASE HYLO RELIEF?
Optase Hylo Relief ™ is a sterile, preservative-free eye solution for ocular use.
Active ingredients: Glycerin (0.25%)
Inactive ingredients: Borax, Boric Acid, Citric Acid Anhydrous, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Citrate Dihydrate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Water.
Each bottle contains 10mL of eye drops solution.
When is OPTASE HYLO RELIEF indicated?
OPTASE HYLO RELIEF is for use as a lubricant to prevent further irritation, and relieve dryness of the eye. It may also be used as a protectant against further irritation associated with dry eye.
When should Optase Hylo Relief be used?
The symptoms of burning, itching, dry eyes or foreign-body sensation are often experienced due to dry or air conditioned environments. Environmental factors, side effects of medication, age, cigarette smoke, driving at night or prolonged periods working with visual display units can also be the cause of these symptoms.
Optase Hylo Relief relieves these symptoms and offers long lasting protection for the eyes.
Optase Hylo Relief contains Glycerin which is a humectant (moistening effect) that coms from plant sources. Glycerin protects both the surface of the eye against cell damage and assists healing.
Optase Hylo Relief is a product with no alcohol, no preservatives and no ingredients of animal origin. Optase Hylo Relief can be used with contact lenses.
How should Optase Hylo Relief be used?
The unique Optase Hylo Relief bottle system is a novel delivery system to the US Market: please take particular care to review the instructions carefully. For video instructions on how to use the Optase Hylo Rlief bottle, please scan the QR code on the side of the box. The design of the unique bottle system ensures that the size and speed of each drop are the same regardless of the pressure applied to the base of the bottle. Please do not use Optase Hylo Relief if any part of the protective seal on the folding carton is broken or damaged before using for the first time. During use, please avoid any contact between the tip of the bottle and your eye or your skin. After application, ensure that the tip is dry. Then replace the over-cap back on the bottle.
Priming the system:
To prime the system, remove the over-cap and invert the Optase Hylo Relief bottle with its tip pointing down.
Place two fingers on the base and your thumb on the shoulder of the bottle and press firmly on the base and release. Repeat this several times until the first drop is released. The bottle is now primed.
Remove the over-cap and invert the Optase Hylo Relief bottle with its tip pointing down. Support the hand holding the bottle with the other hand.
Hold the bottle as previously shown. With your head leaning back slightly, pull down your lower eyelid. Press the base of the bottle to enable the pump function, while ensuring that no direct contact is made with the eye. This enables the bottle to release one drop into the conjunctival sac. Release and repeat for the other eye. After each application, slowly close your eye to allow the fluid to spread evenly over the eye surface. Please avoid any contact between the tip of the bottle and your eye or your skins.
What else do you need to know?
- Keep out of reach of children. Optase Hylo Relief is for external use only. Please wash your hands before use.
- During use, and to avoid contamination, please avoid any contact between the tip of the bottle and your eye or your skin. Do not touch the tip of the bottle with fingers.
- After application, ensure that the tip is dry, then replace the over-cap back on the bottle.
- The Optase Hylo Relief bottle is for single person use only.
- Do not touch the eye or contact lens with the tip of the bottle.
- Please allow at least 10 minutes after the application of other ophthalmic drops before applying Optase Hylo Relief. Eye ointments should always be administered last.
When should Optase Hylo Relief not be used?
Optase Hylo Relief should not be used if you are sensitive to any of the ingredients.
What do you need to know about storing Optase Hylo Relief?
- Optase Hylo Night eye ointment should not be stored about 25C (77F), and protected from direct sunshine and heat.
- Optase Hylo Night can be used for 6 months after opening.
- The shelf life is 2 years.
- Do not use beyond the expiry dateshown on the bottle and imprinted on the packaging carton, or after discard date (6 months from opening).
- Do not use Optase Hylo Relief in the event it has frozen, or it has been stored in hot conditions for a long time.
- Do not use if the bottle is damaged, or the tamper evident seal is damaged.
- Discard the empty bottle appropriately.
Are there any contraindications for Optase Hylo Relief?
Stop use and ask doctor if you feel pain, changes in vision occur, redness or irritation of the eye lasts or if condition worsens or lasts more than 72 hours.
Do not use if you are sensitive to any of the ingredients. If in doubt, consult a healthcare professional.
Purpose: Eye lubricant
- For use as a lubricant to prevent further irritation or to relieve dryness of the eye.
- May be used as a protectant against further irritation
- To relieve dryness of the eye
For external use only
If solution changes color or becomes cloudy, do not use.
Stop use and ask doctor if
- You feel eye pain
- Changes in vision occur
- Redness or irritation of the eye lasts
- Condition worsens or lasts more than 72 hours
Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed get medical help or contact a poison control center right away.
Put one or two drops in the affected eye as needed
Use only if tamper evidence seal on the lid is intact
Do not store above 25 C (77 F)
Borax, Boric Acid, Citric Acid anhydrous, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Citrate Dihydrate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Water