About Optase MGD Advanced Dry Eye Drops
- Active ingredient: Glycerin 0.9%
- Contains sacha inchi seed oil, trehalose and sodium hyaluronate
- Preservative-free multi-dose bottle
- Contact lens compatible
- 10mL (0.33 fl oz)
This drop is truly new, not just "new to the US" (i.e. part of the accelerating migration of dry eye products from Europe to the US). How often do we get a completely new eye drop... not very!
Optase MGD is, in effect, a sort of dry eye "combo drop". While glycerin is nominally the active ingredient, a cardinal unwritten and unspoken rule of artificial tears in the US is that the interesting stuff frequently gets tucked in the inactive ingredient list*. Optase MGD is a classic example.
- Sodium hyaluronate. Oasis was the first example of a sodium hyaluronate drop on the US market but by now almost every major brand has a drop containing it.
- Trehalose. This is best known in a European drop called Thealoz Duo (which, speaking of the migration, recently came to the US under the brand Ivizia), but trehalose also exists in Refresh Optive Mega and Theratears Extra.
- Sacha Inchi Seed Oil, making this (or so I gather) reasonably describable as a lipid drop. There aren't too many of those in the US - Retaine MGD being the most notable one, although it is certainly not directly comparable.
Anyway, ingredients aside, the proof is always in the proverbial pudding. As we know in the dry eye world, everything works for someone and nothing works for everyone. If you try this let me know what you think, especially in comparison to other drops with any similar ingredients.
*This is in order to comply with dinosaur-era FDA regulations about artificial tears, otherwise known as the OTC Monograph (specifically for ophthalmic demulcents and emollients). In 2020, a law was changed that brings at least some hope of this eventually changing.
An advanced preservative free lipid-based drop for evaporative dry eye.
- Advanced DEMET technology
- Preservative Free
- 3 Months Sterility
- 300 Drops
Advanced microemulsion of ingredients (Sacha inchi seed oil, Trehalose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycerin) in a formula that is optically clear and non-blurring and that creates a low surface tension in the optimal volume for an eye drop 30ul.
Purpose: Eye lubricant
- For use as a lubricant to prevent further irritation
- May be used as a protectant against further irritation
- To relieve dryness of the eye
- For external use only
- To avoid contamination, do not touch tip of container to any surface. After use, shake the bottle downwards in order to remove any residual drop that may be left. Replace cap after using.
- Do not use the solution if it changes color or becomes cloudy.
Stop use and ask doctor if
- You feel eye pain
- Changes in vision occur
- Redness or irritation of the eye lasts
- Condition worsens or lasts more than 72 hours
Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed get medical help or contact a poison control center right away.
Put one or two drops in the affected eyes as needed.
Use only if tamper evidence seal on the cap is intact.
Citric acid monohydrate, Polyoxyethylenesorbitan, Monooleate, Potassium Chloride, Purified Water, Sacha Inchi Seed Oil, Sodium hyaluronate, Sodium Monooleate, Trehalose, Tromethamine
Store at 5 - 30C / 41 - 86F